BCCI President Sourav Ganguly told PTI on Monday that due to health and safety concerns caused by COVID19, the T20 World Cup originally scheduled to be held in India will be transferred to the United Arab Emirates, ending weeks of speculation on the main events of October and November. . “We have officially notified the International Criminal Court that the T20 World Cup can be transferred to the United Arab Emirates. Details are being finalized,” Ganguly said. “Health and safety issues of all stakeholders were taken into consideration when making this decision,” he added.
However, BCCI will continue to be the organizer of the exhibition.
When asked if October 17 has been set as the start date for the competition, Ganguly said: “We will be able to determine the details of the itinerary in a few days. The October 17 start has not yet been finalized.”
Even the International Criminal Court spokesman also confirmed that the global agency has not yet returned to zero on the final schedule.
Earlier this month, the International Criminal Court gave the BCCI a four-week window to decide and notify India if it can host large-scale events in the country under COVID19.
“If the BCCI is unable to host an eight-team IPL in September, how could it have hosted World T20 within a month? Also now we have a new variant (Delta 3) and there is every possibility of a third wave in the country in October.
“The BCCI brass was always well aware that it won’t be practically feasible,” an ICC board member told PTI on conditions of anonymity.
Also, India is on the “Red List” of countries like England and Australia and travelling could be an issue if the rules are not relaxed by then.
It is also understood that most of the member nations were comfortable playing the IPL in the UAE after multiple cases of bubble breach happened during the postponed edition in India.