According to the government, the saplings are being geo-tagged and monitored.
| Photo Credit: ANI
Nearly 50 lakh saplings have been planted so far by the Forest Department, Delhi Development Authority, Municipal Corporation of Delhi and other agencies against a target of 70 lakh under the annual plantation drive, according to the Delhi government.
The figure was announced on Thursday (August 20) during the mass plantation programme organised at the President’s Bodyguard (PBG) parade ground in the Central Ridge under the Delhi Mega Plantation Drive 2026 and the ‘Ek Ped Maa Ke Naam’ campaign. The programme was led by Delhi’s Bharatiya Janata Party president Harsh Malhotra and Environment Minister Manjinder Singh Sirsa.
“What we have started is not just a plantation campaign; it is a long-term movement for the environment. People are coming forward voluntarily, and we are connecting them with the responsibility of planting, protecting and nurturing trees,” Mr. Sirsa said.
Around 1.78 lakh people have registered for plantation on the campaign portal, with about 1.54 lakh participating. According to the government, the saplings are being geo-tagged and monitored, while a QR-code-based system is being developed to enable citizens to track the growth of the trees they have planted.
“Our resolve is not merely to plant trees, but to bring the people of Delhi together in this mission. We want every tree to be planted with a sense of responsibility and affection, just as we care for our mothers,” Mr. Sirsa said.
Published – August 20, 2026 11:41 pm IST
