Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar, during a meeting with farmer representatives from Bidadi at the Government Residential Office in Bengaluru on Wednesday.
| Photo Credit: SUDHAKARA JAIN
Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar on Wednesday announced that 80% of landowners, whose lands are notified for the Greater Bengaluru Integrated Township (GBIT) or Bidadi township, have agreed to part with their land, and the final notification will be issued by June 30.
The government is set to acquire over 6,700 acres for developing India’s first and largest artificial intelligence (AI)-powered integrated township. Mr. Shivakumar held discussions with farmers from the Bidadi region regarding the township project at his government residence office in Kumara Park on Wednesday.
The Deputy Chief Minister said that the government will start releasing compensation from the first week of June. For the final notification, three villages will be grouped together to form separate batches, and separate final notifications will be issued.
He noted that those who agree to part with their land before June 30 will be issued full compensation. For those who are opposing, the money will be deposited in court, and the process will be initiated.
Mr. Shivakumar urged farmers to opt for land compensation, even though cash compensation is available, because the returns will be higher. “When premium FAR is offered in the coming days, it will be beneficial to landowners. We are spending ₹5 crore for every acre,” he said.
“I have advised all farmers not to sell their land because they do not yet understand its future value. Everyone has agreed,” he said.
He further explained that the government had also undertaken surveys to establish Metro connectivity in the future. “This area has been brought under the BWSSB, so the board will provide water connections. About 40 km of road connectivity will also be established”, he added.
The government is extending compensation under the Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement (RFCTLARR) Act, 2013. In a first-of-its-kind measure, the government will provide livelihood support from the date of the final notification until monetary compensation is paid or developed sites are handed over. The landowners will receive financial assistance ranging between ₹ 25,000 and ₹ 50,000 based on the type of land.
During the meeting, farmers demanded not only compensation, but also residential sites. After hearing all their grievances, Mr. Shivakumar assured them that whatever assistance could be extended legally would be provided.
With farmers’ confidence
He later addressed the media. “This region had been declared a red zone, meaning nobody could sell or transact land here. Some people had even approached the court seeking to stop the project, but the court refused to halt it. That is why I am continuing the project after taking farmers into confidence,” he said.
He further stated that the township would be connected to Kanakapura Road, Mysuru-Bengaluru Road, and NICE Road.
“In the future, premium FAR will also be provided. Foreigners are asking us what this AI city will look like. Once we secure the required land, we will release the project blueprint,” he said.
Answering a question that H.D. Kumaraswamy had reportedly thrown an open challenge regarding the Bidadi township issue, Mr. Shivakumar said that he was ready to accept it. “Three days are enough for me. Fix the date, time, and venue, and I will be ready,” he said, adding that Mr. Kumaraswamy himself could decide the place and time. He reiterated that it was Mr. Kumaraswamy who notified the lands earlier for the project and questioned why he had not denotified them later.
Published – May 20, 2026 10:01 pm IST
