Skip to content
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Linkedin
  • WhatsApp
  • YouTube
  • Associate Journalism
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • 033-46046046
  • editor@artifex.news
Artifex.News

Artifex.News

Stay Connected. Stay Informed.

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • Nation
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Toggle search form
  • 3rd Test: New Zealand Crush England To Send Tim Southee Out On A High
    3rd Test: New Zealand Crush England To Send Tim Southee Out On A High Sports
  • Access Denied Sports
  • “KL Rahul Will Always Be In The Shadows Of Rohit Sharma And Virat Kohli”: Ex-India Star
    “KL Rahul Will Always Be In The Shadows Of Rohit Sharma And Virat Kohli”: Ex-India Star Sports
  • Taylor Swift’s Private Airfield Near London Targeted By Climate Activists
    Taylor Swift’s Private Airfield Near London Targeted By Climate Activists World
  • Australian Dictionary’s Word Of The Year, What It Means
    Australian Dictionary’s Word Of The Year, What It Means World
  • Access Denied Sports
  • Government suspends import duty on cotton
    Government suspends import duty on cotton Business
  • Access Denied
    Access Denied Nation
Board of Peace will ask UNSC to press Hamas to disarm

Board of Peace will ask UNSC to press Hamas to disarm

Posted on May 20, 2026 By admin


High Representative for President Donald Trump’s International Board of Peace and its efforts in Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov speaks to the media during the Board of Peace press briefing in East Jerusalem on May 13, 2026.
| Photo Credit: AP

The body overseeing the U.S.-brokered ceasefire in Gaza will ask the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to press the Hamas militant group to disarm, according to a report seen by The Associated Press on Tuesday (May 19, 2026).

The report by the Board of Peace, an international body set up by U.S. President Donald Trump and tasked with overseeing the fragile ceasefire between Hamas and Israel, is expected to be discussed by the Security Council on Thursday (May 21, 2026) when it meets on the situation in the West Asia.

“At this stage, the principle obstacle to full implementation [of the ceasefire] remains Hamas’ refusal to accept verified decommissioning, relinquish coercive control, and permit a genuine civilian transition in Gaza,” the report said. Hamas in a statement rejected the report and said it contains “fallacies”. A diplomat familiar with the report confirmed its authenticity, speaking on condition of anonymity because it has not been made public.

Mr. Trump’s 20-point ceasefire plan calls on Hamas to surrender its weapons and destroy its vast network of tunnels. It also envisions Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza, the arrival of a new technocratic Palestinian government, deployment of an international security force and the rebuilding of the battered Palestinian enclave after more than two years of war.

Board of Peace head has said the ceasefire has stalled. Last week, the head of the Board of Peace, former UN Mideast envoy Nickolay Mladenov, acknowledged that the truce had stalled since taking effect in October, saying the deadlock over disarming Hamas had paralysed progress.

“Reconstruction cannot commence where weapons have not been laid down,” the Board’s report to the Security Council says. “The critical variable, the single factor that unlocks every other element of the plan, is the conclusion of an agreement on the Roadmap for the full implementation of the plan that includes full decommissioning by Hamas and all armed groups in Gaza.” The Palestinian militant group, which led the October 7, 2023, attack on Israel that sparked the war in Gaza, has accused Israel of failing to meet its obligations under the first phase of the ceasefire and has sought to link any demilitarisation to Israeli troop pullbacks.

Israel’s military has expanded its control of Gaza since the truce took effect and now controls some 60% of the territory.

The new report calls on the Security Council to “reiterate publicly, clearly and consistently that the decommissioning of weapons in Gaza is not merely a requirement [of the UN’s resolution to end the war] but critical for reconstruction to begin, for a timebound Israeli forces withdrawal, and for a credible pathway to Palestinian self-determination and statehood to be pursued”.

The Security Council endorsed the Board of Peace in a resolution in November.

Hamas says the report tries to derail the ceasefire. Hamas said the report “contains a number of fallacies that absolve the occupying government of its responsibilities for the daily violations of the ceasefire agreement in Gaza”. The group said the report ignored Israel’s “failure to uphold the majority of its commitments” in the ceasefire deal, including the continued restrictions on crossings into the Palestinian territory and preventing the entry of material and equipment needed to repair basic infrastructure and shelter for the largely displaced population.

“The report’s adoption of the occupation’s conditions regarding disarmament is a dubious attempt to muddy the waters and derail the ceasefire agreement,” Hamas said in a statement.

It called on the Security Council and Mladenov to compel Israel to fulfill its commitments under the ceasefire’ deal’s first phase, “foremost among them the cessation of the daily aggression against our Palestinian people in Gaza”.

The ceasefire has seen numerous violations. The report noted near-daily ceasefire violations, “some of which are serious, and their human consequences, civilians killed, families living in fear, and continued impediments to humanitarian access, cannot be minimised”.

Israel’s military still carries out airstrikes in Gaza despite the ceasefire and has pushed deeper into the territory, where it now controls more than it was granted under the ceasefire agreement. Living conditions are dire, with most of the territory’s 2 million people living in tent camps lacking basic services.

Mr. Mladenov last week said his office is addressing violations by both sides on a daily basis. But he repeatedly cited the disarmament issue as a central sticking point, saying Hamas’ obligation to give up its arsenal is “not negotiable” and that progress on all other issues was being held up.

Published – May 20, 2026 03:36 pm IST



Source link

World Tags:Board of Peace meeting, donald trump

Post navigation

Previous Post: CM Rangasamy, Ministers take oath as MLAs in Puducherry
Next Post: Taiwan’s Lai says he would tell Trump he hopes to continue arms purchases from U.S.

Related Posts

  • Sweden To Allow Schoolbag Searches After Mass Shooting
    Sweden To Allow Schoolbag Searches After Mass Shooting World
  • Uncertainty clouds Iran talks as ceasefire deadline nears
    Uncertainty clouds Iran talks as ceasefire deadline nears World
  • Bangladesh accepts first uranium for Russia-backed nuclear plant
    Bangladesh accepts first uranium for Russia-backed nuclear plant World
  • Tree That Went Extinct In 1838 Resprouts In Brazil City 200 Years Later
    Tree That Went Extinct In 1838 Resprouts In Brazil City 200 Years Later World
  • Tariffs and rare earths: Lula da Silva positions Brazil as a global player in U.S. visit
    Tariffs and rare earths: Lula da Silva positions Brazil as a global player in U.S. visit World
  • U.S. officials hold talks in Kabul over Americans detained in Afghanistan
    U.S. officials hold talks in Kabul over Americans detained in Afghanistan World

More Related Articles

Access Denied World
Daily quiz | On September 7, 2023 Daily quiz | On September 7, 2023 World
Sudan’s paramilitary group agrees on truce proposed by U.S.-led mediator group Sudan’s paramilitary group agrees on truce proposed by U.S.-led mediator group World
S Jaishankar Meets Head Of Arctic Circle To Discuss Deeper Cooperation S Jaishankar Meets Head Of Arctic Circle To Discuss Deeper Cooperation World
Australia doubles foreign student visa fee in migration crackdown Australia doubles foreign student visa fee in migration crackdown World
All You Need To Know About New UK Government’s Key Policy Plans All You Need To Know About New UK Government’s Key Policy Plans World
SiteLock

Archives

  • May 2026
  • April 2026
  • March 2026
  • February 2026
  • January 2026
  • December 2025
  • November 2025
  • October 2025
  • September 2025
  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023
  • September 2023
  • August 2023
  • July 2023
  • June 2023
  • May 2023
  • April 2023
  • March 2023
  • February 2023
  • January 2023
  • December 2022
  • November 2022
  • October 2022
  • September 2022
  • August 2022
  • July 2022
  • June 2022
  • May 2022

Categories

  • Business
  • Nation
  • Science
  • Sports
  • World

Recent Posts

  • Ensuring safety of people at Adyar bridge is a challenge for police and rescue teams
  • Centre willing to proceed with HMR Phase II on 50:50 cost-sharing basis: Khattar
  • Taiwan’s Lai says he would tell Trump he hopes to continue arms purchases from U.S.
  • Board of Peace will ask UNSC to press Hamas to disarm
  • CM Rangasamy, Ministers take oath as MLAs in Puducherry

Recent Comments

  1. RobertBub on UP Teacher Who Asked Students To Slap Muslim Classmate
  2. DonaldGow on UP Teacher Who Asked Students To Slap Muslim Classmate
  3. Sidneygug on UP Teacher Who Asked Students To Slap Muslim Classmate
  4. DavidWrize on UP Teacher Who Asked Students To Slap Muslim Classmate
  5. DonteTuh on UP Teacher Who Asked Students To Slap Muslim Classmate
  • Access Denied
    Access Denied Nation
  • PM Shehbaz says U.S. sanctions on Pakistan’s firms have ‘no justification’
    PM Shehbaz says U.S. sanctions on Pakistan’s firms have ‘no justification’ World
  • September 17 To Be Celebrated As ‘Hyderabad Liberation Day’: Amit Shah
    September 17 To Be Celebrated As ‘Hyderabad Liberation Day’: Amit Shah Nation
  • Saudi Aramco cuts oil supply to Asia for second month in April
    Saudi Aramco cuts oil supply to Asia for second month in April World
  • Access Denied Sports
  • Donald Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
    Donald Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement World
  • Access Denied
    Access Denied Sports
  • Access Denied Business

Editor-in-Chief:
Mohammad Ariff,
MSW, MAJMC, BSW, DTL, CTS, CNM, CCR, CAL, RSL, ASOC.
editor@artifex.news

Associate Editors:
1. Zenellis R. Tuba,
zenelis@artifex.news
2. Haris Daniyel
daniyel@artifex.news

Photograher:
Rohan Das
rohan@artifex.news

Artifex.News offers Online Paid Internships to college students from India and Abroad. Interns will get a PRESS CARD and other online offers.
Send your CV (Subjectline: Paid Internship) to internship@artifex.news

Links:
Associate Journalism
About Us
Privacy Policy

News Links:
Breaking News
World
Nation
Sports
Business
Entertainment
Lifestyle

Registered Office:
72/A, Elliot Road, Kolkata - 700016
Tel: 033-22277777, 033-22172217
Email: office@artifex.news

Editorial Office / News Desk:
No. 13, Mezzanine Floor, Esplanade Metro Rail Station,
12 J. L. Nehru Road, Kolkata - 700069.
(Entry from Gate No. 5)
Tel: 033-46011099, 033-46046046
Email: editor@artifex.news

Copyright © 2023 Artifex.News Newsportal designed by Artifex Infotech.